COASTAL & MONTEREY BAY PROTECTION RULES , REGULATIONS AND PLANNING DOCUMENTS
Waterfront planning and regulation is a many level affair. There are Federal, State, County, City and Local Land Use Plans and regulations.
Note: Federal Law preempts State Law. State Law preempts Local Law.
The following is a list of the plans and regulations impacting Monterey's coastline. While this may seem like a lot, it is not exhaustive.
- Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary Act.
- The Draft Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Management Plan can be downloaded at or requested by e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Prohibited Activities Section 922.132 Prohibited or Otherwise Regulated Activities (U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 15).
- Clean Water Act
- Coastal Act
- Coastal Commission
- Marine Protected Areas
- Desalination Regulations and Permitting Agencies
- Monterey State Beach General Plan
- Desalination Permitting Agencies
- Monterey County Health Department regulates inshore water quality and can call for beach closures when polluted conditions are found.